SQLNET authorization question

From: David Trahan <p00775_at_psilink.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 08:59:00 -0500

Greetings!

        I'm familiar with using SQLNET between two VAXen over DECNET. When you use a tool on node MYVAX and connect to an instance on YOURVAX, a server process get's kicked off on my behalf on YOURVAX through which I communicate all SQL commands. The server process runs as "my" username since MYVAX and YOURVAX share an authorization database.

        How does this work if I'm connecting from a PC which obviously doesn't have the concept of a username? When I connect (say over TCP/IP), what username is used on the server to run my server process? Do I somehow have to specify an operating system username and password to login as? If so, where is this specified? Is the situation different on a Unix server?

        Thanx in advance for your help!

					Dave Trahan
					p00775_at_psilink.com