Re: sqlnet for decnet authentication problem?

From: Gary Eckhardt, Bldg 613, X2826 <eckhardg_at_brooks.af.mil>
Date: 16 Nov 1993 02:49:16 GMT

In article uvi0oC_at_hammer.ryazan.su, pegas_at_hammer.ryazan.su (Vladimir N. Reztsov) writes:

> On the "client" side I have next connect string in the CONFIG.ORA file
>
> REMOTE=D:REMNODE"MYUSERNAME MYPASSWORD"::"TASK=ORDNTESTDB"
>
> But I must to store my password as open text in CONFIG.ORA!
> My question is:
> How to avoid storing my password as open text in the connect string?

We currently haven't found a way around this other than having users enter in their username/password.

On a similar vein, (security, that is) you might want to double-check the ORASRV_DFLT_USER parameter in the CONFIG.ORA file on the VMS side and make sure that it is not set to an account that can be mapped to a Oracle account. Case in point: We had the default user set to our Oracle admin account, ORADBA. If a user on a PC just did a SQLPLUS /, without having a username set up in their PC's CONFIG.ORA, then they were logged into the default user, which just happened to be the DBA admin account! That was fixed very quickly, as we created a VMS user with all the correct privledges to run the listener process, and we map to that user which doesn't have an Oracle account.

Gary B. Eckhardt                |  Software Development  |  This space for
Computer Sciences Corporation   |  MISTS HSC Support     |  rent or lease.
eckhardg_at_radon.brooks.af.mil    |  (210) 536-2826        |  (Cheap!)

             "IOUW - International Oracle Underwear Week!"
                  --Canadian guy on stage at Pleasure Island, IOUW 1993