sqlnet for decnet authentication problem?

From: Vladimir N. Reztsov <pegas_at_hammer.ryazan.su>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 93 16:18:14 +0200

I am new ORACLE user.

We have next licensed products:

ORACLE 7 Server on VAX under VMS
ORACLE 6 Tools on PC
Decnet-DOS 3.0
SQL*Net 1.2 for Decnet on VAX & PC

I want to access from my PC to Oracle database on VAX using SQL*Plus. I use OS authentication for access to Oracle.

On the "client" side I have next connect string in the CONFIG.ORA file

REMOTE=D:REMNODE"MYUSERNAME MYPASSWORD"::"TASK=ORDNTESTDB" I press [Enter] on SQL*Plus Username prompt, and the connection is set successfully.

But I must to store my password as open text in CONFIG.ORA! My question is:
How to avoid storing my password as open text in the connect string?

Thank for any help.

---

   Vladimir N. Reztsov | pegas_at_hammer.ryazan.su | (0912) 77-31-61    Central Bank of Russia, General department for Ryazan region Received on Mon Nov 15 1993 - 15:18:14 CET

Original text of this message