Back-end character set remapping

From: Larry Claman <claman_at_copley.csc.mckinsey.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 15:26:22 GMT

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on solving this problem. Currently, we use a 4GL (Omnis 7) on PCs under Windows to connect via SQL*NET to an Oracle 6 server running on AIX. We also use a variety of ad-hoc query tools such as Quest to access the data.

We are now in the process of porting our applications to the Macintosh. The problem is that we have extended characters stored in our data, and that the Macintosh uses a different character mapping for extended characters than the Windows ANSI character set. Thus, any data retrieved on the Mac that contains extended characters is displayed incorrectly. Omnis 7 allows you to remap characters based on custom remapping tables, so we are able to handle this in our own applications; however the characters are still mapped incorrectly when using any other tools.

I'm hoping it would be possible to remap characters at the driver level. Would ODBC / Oracle*Glue / SQL*NET 2.0 be able to do this? Or, is there a setting in SQL*NET 1.5 that would do this for me?

-Larry Claman
 claman_at_copley.csc.mckinsey.com Received on Wed Nov 10 1993 - 16:26:22 CET

Original text of this message