Re: "Unexpected oracle server termination..."

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_Freenet.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 00:39:52 GMT

In a previous article, ekleindi_at_cs.uml.edu (Edgar Kleindist) says:

> We just installed Oracle7 on a Sun workstation (SunOS 4.1.3).
>
> One of my users got this error message when running one of her
> sql scripts.
>
> Unexpected oracle server termination by signal 6
>
> Any idea what this error message is complaining about?

   The server process blew up. There should be all sorts of interesting reading in the server trace file (the alert file will contain the OS pid of the culprit). We're running 7.0.12 on SunOS 4.1.3 and get this sort of thing now and then. Seems that some of the shared pool memory managemet is getting corrupted (UGA heap usually). Try running the same statement with a dedicated server (less buggy than the multithreaded  server) and maybe it will "go away". Hopefully these bugs will be worked out by Oracle "real soon now".

   Waiting for a "clean 7.0.15"...

  • Doug --
    • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada