SQL database packing, specifically EMPRESS

From: jek/max <jungekim_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: 1 Nov 1993 19:37:54 GMT

What is the normal method to remove dead space from an SQL database?

My company is having trouble with some of its systems running the EMPRESS (sql) database. They are issuing an ALTER command in order to free up space previously used by deleted records. I am from the PROGRESS database environment, where we have no such command. Our method of making database files efficient is simply to archive records, delete records, dump good records and then reload them into a fresh database.

I'd appreciate any assistance the net can provide. This seems to be a problem specifically with the EMPRESS database, but a quick education on how other modern systems are performing this would be appreciated greatly!

--
Maxwell Spangler	One Call Concepts, Inc.		Laurel, Maryland