Re: Oracle support...

From: <acmoll_at_vnet.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 09:47:19 EST

From: acmoll_at_vnet.ibm.com (Drew Moll)

In article <grimes.751632723_at_access> grimes_at_oecd.fr writes:

>I would love to hear some details about this recall:
>- Why was 7.0.15 recalled? (I.e., what were the bugs, in which modules, etc.)
>- When was 7.0.15 released and when was it recalled and on which platforms?

Well, I can tell you my experience. We're running 7.0.15 under AIX here, in a test environment. Here's some of the words we got from Oracle:

"This letter accompanies the emergency patch for Oracle7 Server that resolves bug 181351. {Some marketing hype removed from here...} Under certain conditions, this bug causes select statements to return incorrect results. Conditions that need to be met to run into the problem:

- A SELECT statement with an IN list in the WHERE clause
- The column being checked against the IN clause is indexed
- The binary representations of any two pairs of values in the IN list
  are of different lengths but match up to the length of the shorter   element in the pair

Oracle sent us a patch for $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle and said they hope to release Oracle7 Server 7.0.15.4 "within the next few weeks" to permanently fix the problem. This note was dated 24-SEP-93. We haven't heard anything from them since that letter and tape were received about a month ago. Our (small) database and application do seem to be running fine.

Drew Moll Received on Mon Nov 01 1993 - 15:47:19 CET

Original text of this message