SOLUTION: HELP! Oracle are eating my bytes!

From: <edb_gunder_at_debet.nhh.no>
Date: 15 Oct 93 13:12:44 MET

Thanks to everybody that as given my hints to solve my problem with that Oracle filled up my tablespace. The solution was that the installation scripts from Oracle put the indexes in the same tablespace as the users default tablespace and not in a tablespace allocated for indexes. In the tablespace I had 300k as extents with minimum 3 extents. That mens that every index took 0.9 MB.

The way I got aware of the index problem was because

                Sanjeev Kumar Agrawal

gave me the following script (with some modifications): ##############
clear computes
clear breaks
set pagesize 66
break on report
compute sum of a on report
column a format 999.99 heading "Size in MB" spool tab_db_size
select substr(segment_name,1,15) Object, substr(segment_type,1,5) Type,bytes, blocks,extents, round((blocks/512),2) a
from sys.dba_segments
where tablespace_name='USER_SYSTEM'
order by blocks
/
spool off
clear computes
clear breaks

Thanks to everybody who has helped me out on this (Oracle Support could not help me......

Gunder Received on Fri Oct 15 1993 - 13:12:44 CET

Original text of this message