Re: Can we call of this advertising before it gets out of hand? (Was: Re: Report Writer)

From: Allen S. Rout <asr_at_yawl.cis.ufl.edu>
Date: 7 Oct 93 16:48:45

-=> <dgh> == David Harrington
-=> Regarding Re: Can we call of this advertising before it gets out of hand? (Was: Re: Report Writer), <dgh> adds:

dgh> In article <1993Oct4.233503.5912_at_usage.csd.unsw.OZ.AU> troy_at_cbme.unsw.EDU.AU (Troy Rollo) writes:

><Advertisement from company 1 deleted>
><Counter advertisement from company 2 deleted>
dgh> I hesitate to start this, but I am really curious: what "ethical"
dgh> considerations are you talking about?  The Internet is a network of
dgh> networks, mostly supported by .com sites.  "Advertisements", as you call
dgh> them (I would say that no one advertises on the net; [ ... ]

You'd be wrong.

dgh> [ "unprofessional" == not an ad]

great. So we want only the CLUELESS ad men posting ads here.

Look.. There are places for that. If people want to see ads for the latest widget, they can go to biz.comp.widget. If they want to discuss non-sales-related issues, or get advice, they should not have to wade through ads.

dgh> Believe me, no company is going to get the payback necessary to stay in
dgh> business by relying on the net as a sales channel.  The "ads" you see
dgh> are posted by (usually technical as opposed to sales) employees of the
dgh> company.

Yes.. but a lot of readers could be irritated out of reading a group because of a preponderance of ads there. This would then be bad for all of us who like to share and get information here.

Look at it this way: would you appreciate it if someone continually posted erotic GIFs here? ( hmmm... maybe you would :)

Or, say, lots of information on Youraba language teaching? Or quilting information?

Ads are similarly out of the scope of this discussion.

Testimonials, critiques, etc. are a different matter.

-Allen

--
<    asr_at_cis.ufl.edu	>| Please feel free to respond to anything I
<     (904)373-0906	>| say: I have strong opinions, but a wide-open

-"My marriage is on the rocks, but only because we can't find a blanket."