Re: Can we call of this advertising before it gets out of hand? (Was: Re: Report Writer)

From: David Harrington <dgh_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 18:19:01 GMT

In article <1993Oct4.233503.5912_at_usage.csd.unsw.OZ.AU> troy_at_cbme.unsw.EDU.AU (Troy Rollo) writes:

><Advertisement from company 1 deleted>
>
><Counter advertisement from company 2 deleted>
>
>Ignoring the ethical considerations of posting advertising to USENET
>for a moment, can we try to look at this logically?

I hesitate to start this, but I am really curious: what "ethical" considerations are you talking about? The Internet is a network of networks, mostly supported by .com sites. "Advertisements", as you call them (I would say that no one advertises on the net; maybe "infomercial" is a better term), are a lot more formal and slick than anything I have ever seen here. Passing around product-specific information I would say is a Good Thing.

[...stuff deleted...]

>As I indicated to the first poster, if one company starts this, it
>becomes very difficult for others to hold back due to the perception
>that one company is gaining advantage out of the situation.

Believe me, no company is going to get the payback necessary to stay in business by relying on the net as a sales channel. The "ads" you see are posted by (usually technical as opposed to sales) employees of the company.

So get off your high horse, and hit "n" or "k". Received on Thu Oct 07 1993 - 19:19:01 CET

Original text of this message