Re: Need help in Unix and Oracle's password!

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 3 Oct 1993 07:15:54 GMT

Andreas.Bartelt_at_arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Andreas Bartelt) writes:

>dlm_at_dlogics.dlogics.com (Dave Mausner) writes:

>>jiun_at_wam.umd.edu (Jiun H. Lai) writes:
>>>Can anyone of you tell me how to use unix password as oracle password when
>>>I login to unix system so I can get into sqlplus or sqlmenu without typing
>>>the password twice?

>>In my opinion and experience, a preferable approach is to use operating system
>>verification, so that you do not need to specify the oracle password at all.

>>for each unix username X, create oracle username OPS$X with password Y.
>>a good choice of Y is: VALUES 'X', for example:
>> grant connect to OPS$X identified by values 'X';

>That will generate a security problem:
>If someone spots this rule he may use any account, typing ops$x at the
>Enter user-name: and typing X at the Enter password: prompt.

>Badly I did not know a better solution, the problem is, the ops$
>passwords have to be unique... :(

>Bye,
> Andreas

I'll take a minute to point out a subtle detail:

grant connect to OPS$X identified by values 'X'; will encrypt the password.

grant connect to OPS$X identified by 'X'; will set the password to 'X'

Therefore, when I set up ops$ accounts I always use this syntax:

grant connect to OPS$X identified by values 'X';

even I don't know what the password will be; it's encrypted.

I point out a few other subtle details in the following sections of my Oracle7 Guide:

	install
	v6to_o7

There, I've blabbed enough (and pitched my Guide).

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu