Re: Popped over from c.d.informix

From: Lily Moy <lily_at_gagme.chi.il.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 20:52:15 GMT

>1) do Oracle DBAs make use of raw partitions on disk rather than
> filesystems? informix DBAs practically live in raw partitions.
>
> if not, why not? (informix uses raw partitions primarily for
> performance - perhaps oracle runs okay working
> within the unix file hierarchy...)

Oracle DBAs have both the option to use or not user raw partitions. Sometimes you might find exceptional performance by using the operating system's own file system (due to its own optimization from the hardware vendor?).

>2) please tell me that oracle 7.1 or 8.0 (whatever) will have a clean
> online backup. no "fuzzy" stuff. the possibility of incremental
> backups.

Oracle does provide clean backups. I have not heard of any problems with this. Incremental backups are possible today in Oracle7. Online incremental backups are done without performance degradation, provided that you have done one full backup. Received on Tue Sep 28 1993 - 21:52:15 CET

Original text of this message