Re: How do you Export single applications in Oracle*CASE ?

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 28 Sep 93 15:14:35 GMT

willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org (Willy Klotz) writes:

>holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu writes in article <Sep.22.14.39.46.1993.23802_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>:
>>

>When beginning with ORACLE CASE, I decided to work with several projects
>and share the common references in a "master" project. After 2 months
>of working, I discovered that this was a bad idea - switching between
>projects, sharing entities and references....

>I integrated all in one (fairly large) project - and am happy with
>this kind of setup.

    What do you do when it comes time to create Modules ?     I guess then you get all modules in the entire application and then     have to delete all the ones you don't want to work on. This becomes     an even bigger hassle I think.

    Let's say you have MAIN with three functional areas, A, B and C.     Now, you define all of your entities, relationships, UIDs, etc.     for the whole MAIN. You also do a nice functional layout for     all of MAIN. Then the boss says: "Implement all of A right now".

    So now you go and generate candidate modules except you get all of     the modules for the whole MAIN application. If you're like most shops,     you did not have time to complete all of the detailed data useages     for B and C so these you have to throw away.

    So you get your modules for A by deleting all of the extras and     bang out the forms. You probably also rename the modules to     something other than A000010, A000020, etc. so they have some     meaning to you.

    Now your boss says: "Implement all of B right now".     So now you have to go back and regenerate candidate modules which,     May overwrite or at least generate extra modules for A which     you don't want.

    This whole problem could be solved if Oracle let you only generate     candidate modules for a sub-set of an application but, alas, it     doesn't work that way.

    If your application is small, keeping it all together should     be easier. The app I'm working on is about 30% done and has     over 100 entites and 50 modules in three functional areas.     The number of areas will grow to about 8 when done. I just     can't see spending the time to kill off 200 redundant candidate     modules just to get to the 25 I need to work on.

    Any other opninons ?

>Willy Klotz

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Tue Sep 28 1993 - 16:14:35 CET

Original text of this message