Re: Real Very Large DBS

From: <Chuck.McDevitt_at_ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: 23 Sep 93 01:44:35 GMT

> I am curious as to how large VLDBs are. . . we are considering moving data
> from non-db storage to a relational database; data in the neighborhood of
> 300 million records of ~300 bytes each. Is this large in comparison to
> other dbs out there? Can someone with "large" systems give me an idea
> of their size? Also, we are concerned about backup issues. Any shared
> experiences would be appreciated.

Hmmmm... That's only about 90 Gb. Large, but in the line of work I'm in, it isn't anything special. For a number of years, I've been working with Teradata Database systems, and for Teradata systems, 90Gb is about "average".

The largest customer using Teradata has somewhere between 1.5 Terabytes and 2 Terabytes (2x10**12) in one database system, well over an order of magnitude larger than your database. This database is used for complex decision support queries! (Lots of SQL joins, aggregations, etc)

I also know of a customer that has around 2 Terabytes in a IBM DB2 database, although at that size, DB2 isn't capable of doing complex SQL queries involving lots of joins etc.

For Oracle systems (Since this is comp.databases.oracle), the largest I know of is a customer that is trying to store three or four hundred gigabytes in an Oracle system on an NCR 3600 machine. Eventually they hope to grow the database to ten times that, but they are still in the implementation phase. Received on Thu Sep 23 1993 - 03:44:35 CEST

Original text of this message