Re: Help needed for Oracle Error codes!

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 11:39:50 CDT

In article 000A8D50_at_admin.acadiau.ca, GLENN_at_admin.acadiau.ca (Glenn E. Davidson) writes:
--> I am getting these two errors when I execute my program which
-->tries to connect to oracle. The numbers are 2700 and sometimes 2701. All I am
-->told is "Error during connect". Can anyone elaborate on this some more. I know
-->that it may have something to do with the environment that the program sets up
-->to run under. The program sets ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME. The PATH is also
-->being set to the Oracle bin directory. Thanks in advance!
-->
londbsv% oerr ORA 2700
02700, 00000, "osnoraenv: error translating ORACLE_SID"

// *Cause:   Two-task driver could not find the value of ORACLE_SID in the
//           environment.
// *Action:  Make sure that the ORACLE_SID environment variable has been
//           properly set and exported.

londbsv% oerr ORA 2701
02701, 00000, "osnoraenv: error translating oracle image name"
// *Cause:   ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set.
// *Action:  Make sure that the ORACLE_HOME environment variable has been
//           properly set and exported.

You need to set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME global enviroment variables in your shell to point you at the right instance. So you are correct.
If your using unix (you didn't say) type 'setenv ORACLE_SID DTOP' where DTOP is the system id of your database
and `setenv OPRACLE_HOME /usr/oracle/bin' if /usr/oracle/bin is your oracle executables directory.

Good Luck =%^)

---
David Crowson          | "Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire
DBA (ORACLE V.4,5,6,7) | has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many
Amoco Exploration      | Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop!
Ealing, London         | This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil!"
dcrowson_at_amoco.com     | - Holly (Ship's computer on Red Dwarf)
"My views not Amoex's" |               =%^)