Undocumented (?) error message

From: marc.colten <colten_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com>
Date: 8 Sep 93 19:56:34 GMT

I have got a very weird problem and I'm hoping someone has some information on it:

When calling up a record we sometimes get the error message:

     CANNOT RESERVE RECORD (3 TRIES) The message is a bottomless pit. It has buttons for yes and no but they have no effect. The popup disappears and then comes back over and over. I have actually killed the entire form program because it is the only way out of it.

This is the ONLY Oracle message I have ever seen that has NO number to it, so I can't even look it up. I thought it might be something a programmer put in, but I can't find any code like that anywhere.

If anyone has seen this message, and knows of a way to prevent it coming up, please e-mail. any solution will be gratefully accepted.

If you know how to - 1) ignore a query if the record is locked.

                     2) replace the above message with something
                        more manageable.
                     3) kill the above message and make it stay
                        killed.

please let me know.

thanks in advance

marc colten Received on Wed Sep 08 1993 - 21:56:34 CEST

Original text of this message