Re: How to determine if Oracle DB is alive from

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1993 03:35:58 CDT

In article 8HD_at_cbnewse.cb.att.com, cafe_at_cbnewse.cb.att.com (richard.dib) writes:
-->Hi There:
-->
-->(We are running Oracle 6.0 under Unix)
-->
-->Does anybody know what would be the best way to determine if ORACLE is
-->up and running? Currently we have a process that will do a "select"
-->periodicaly and if it works it means that ORACLE is alive and kicking.
-->I am not sure why we just don't check if the Oracle process are
-->running (using the "ps" command) and why we are doing this.
-->
-->I would like to know your ideas. Please post them here so that
-->everybody can read them.
-->
-->Thanks in advance,
-->
-->Richard Dib
-->AT&T BL
-->dib_at_psp.att.com
-->
-->P.S. Thanks to all of you that replied to the raw disk partition posting.

Try
 $ ps -ax |grep ora_

This will either give 1 line (the grep) in which case Oracle is NOT up or it will give you the Oracle processes e.g. on our machine we have 5 databases and issuning this command gives....
londbsv% ps -ax|grep ora_

  244 ?  S     0:03 ora_pmon_DTOP
  245 ?  S     0:05 ora_dbwr_DTOP
  246 ?  S     0:03 ora_arch_DTOP
  247 ?  S     0:04 ora_lgwr_DTOP
  248 ?  IW    2:48 ora_smon_DTOP
  251 ?  S     0:19 ora_pmon_PROJECT1
  252 ?  S     7:51 ora_dbwr_PROJECT1
  253 ?  IW  197:30 ora_arch_PROJECT1
  254 ?  S     6:45 ora_lgwr_PROJECT1
  255 ?  IW   22:55 ora_smon_PROJECT1
  258 ?  S     0:04 ora_pmon_UK_MSTR
  259 ?  D    55:09 ora_dbwr_UK_MSTR
  260 ?  IW   37:33 ora_arch_UK_MSTR
  261 ?  S     6:59 ora_lgwr_UK_MSTR
  262 ?  IW    5:56 ora_smon_UK_MSTR
  265 ?  S     0:04 ora_pmon_UK_MAIN
  266 ?  S     0:05 ora_dbwr_UK_MAIN
  267 ?  S     0:03 ora_arch_UK_MAIN
  268 ?  S     0:04 ora_lgwr_UK_MAIN
  269 ?  S     2:10 ora_smon_UK_MAIN
  444 ?  S     0:03 ora_pmon_PPDM
  446 ?  S     0:05 ora_dbwr_PPDM
  447 ?  S     0:04 ora_arch_PPDM
  449 ?  S     0:04 ora_lgwr_PPDM
  450 ?  S     3:04 ora_smon_PPDM
 9283 p4 S     0:00 grep ora_

londbsv%

Note: if you want to look at User processes too, then use ora instead of ora_

---
David Crowson          |
DBA (ORACLE V.4,5,6,7) | "Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire
Amoco Exploration      | has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many
Ealing, London         | Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop!
dcrowson_at_amoco.com     | This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil!"
"My views not Amoex's" | - Holly (Ship's computer on Red Dwarf)