Re: ORACLE7's Snapshot

From: George Oliver <oliver_at_io.nosc.mil>
Date: 31 Aug 1993 16:09:35 GMT

I have attempted to implement ORACLE7 snapshots in a large system. There are two major limitation that we have found: First off there is a bug when you use incremental snapshots. We found that snapping several tables in succession, ORACLE server would crash. To start ORACLE back up, we had to reboot the system (HP 9000/750) no doubt due to some left over temporary files. This bug will be fixed in ORACLE 7.0.15 due out Sept. 15. The other is that it can not handle constraints when using an automatic snapshot period. We had to initiate snapshots from cron. So snapshots work but they aren't as good as they should be and I am anxious to see what pits 7.0.15 have in store for me.

Regards,
Geo.

George Oliver
NRaD, Code 423
oliver_at_nosc.mil Received on Tue Aug 31 1993 - 18:09:35 CEST

Original text of this message