Re: VMS shutdown & backup

From: Joseph Bennett <jbennett_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 22:20:55 GMT

chamblej_at_author.gsfc.nasa.gov (JEFF CHAMBLEE (512)) writes:

>Howdie folks,

>I have just set up a backup process on our VAX that runs every night
>at midnight and resubmits itself so that it will run the next night.
>I run this from the SYSTEM account. I would like to shutdown Oracle
>before the backup and start it up afterwards. However from the
>SYSTEM account I get the following error:

> $ _at_user1:[oracle.ver7.db_obc]shutdown_obc

<< stuff deleted >>

>If I were doing it manually, I would log in as ORACLE, run the
>SHUTDOWN_x.COM, then log in as SYSTEM and run the backup.

>How can I automate this in a COM file? Create a proxy account?
>AUTHORIZE SYSTEM to have the ORA_DBA identifier?

Maybe you should try to use SUBMIT with the /USER=ORACLE parameter. This would give the added advantage that you could tell it when to do the shutdown without human intervention. At our site, we actually do the submit and then syncronize, thereby allowing an operator to run a DCL procedure which will shut down the database, but the shutdown actually occurs via the ORACLE account.

Good Luck - Joe

*         Joseph Bennett, I can be reached at jbennett_at_netcom.COM            *
*           Netcom - Online Communication Services San Jose, CA              *
* "I have a fear of letting my mind wander, I'm afraid it won't come back"   *
*                "I don't do drugs, I don't have the time."                  *