VMS shutdown & backup

From: JEFF CHAMBLEE <chamblej_at_author.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 27 Aug 1993 16:36 -0500

Howdie folks,

I have just set up a backup process on our VAX that runs every night at midnight and resubmits itself so that it will run the next night. I run this from the SYSTEM account. I would like to shutdown Oracle before the backup and start it up afterwards. However from the SYSTEM account I get the following error:

   $ _at_user1:[oracle.ver7.db_obc]shutdown_obc

      ERROR:  System UIC group members are not allowed to use
              ORACLE DBA commands.

              Exiting...

   %NONAME-E-NOMSG, Message number 00000002

If I were doing it manually, I would log in as ORACLE, run the SHUTDOWN_x.COM, then log in as SYSTEM and run the backup.

How can I automate this in a COM file? Create a proxy account? AUTHORIZE SYSTEM to have the ORA_DBA identifier?

I've tried the following:
$ _at_NODE"ORACLE pass"::user1:[oracle.ver7.db_obc]shutdown_obc

But it doesn't recognize NODE (it's own name).

                                        Thanks in advance,

Jeff Chamblee I'm very distrustful of predictions-- particularly Computer Sciences Corp. those which concern the future.
Laurel, MD USA                                            --Wilde