Re: Is a Multithreaded Ingres On the Horizon???

From: David Shanahan <dshan_at_ovs.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 05:33:43 GMT

In article <24qubr$bjr_at_infochi.com> rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:
>Richard Finkelstein (rfinkel_at_infochi.com) wrote:
>: Thanks for cleaning up the confusion. I did miss the point of the original
>: message which was more concerned with parallelism than multi-threading.

>: I believe that Oracle7 is suppose to have parallel index capabilities
>: though I have not verified this with any user.

>: I have also tried to find users who have successfully implemented Sybase's
>: Virtual Server and have found very few - in fact only one. That user did
>: not see a major benefit in Virtual Server though there were some. Other
>: users have reported no success in running Virtual Server. My own feeling
>: is that alot of the parallel architecture that vendors are now promoting
>: are very complicated and difficult to implement. I therefore take a very
>: cautious view towards this technology until it is fully proven.

>: -- Rich
>: --
>: Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325
>: Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824
>: Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com
>
>In order to clarify the above statement, I was referring to Sybase Virtual
>Server running on an SMP box (i.e., multiple engines running on dedicated
>CPUs). I have heard mixed reports on this
>particular product. A Sybase representative got himself all bent out of
>shape because he felt I was talking about all Release 4.8 and 4.9 versions
>of Sybase. If there are companies who have successfully implemented

This is hardly surprising, Virtual Server Architecture is the term Sybase coined to describe their implementation of SQL Server for Symmetric Multi-Processor boxes like Pyramid and Sun MP machines - ie. releases 4.8 and 4.9.x, and is known to work well in many, many sites.

I think what you may be refering to is a new product Sybase are working on as part of the System 10 family of products called "Navigation Server". This is described as "...a software extension to SYBASE SQL Server, allows a collection of SQL Servers to work together in a distributed environment to provide parallel processing of all queries and transactions. It supports very large databases in both massively parallel processing (MPP) and symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) environments...".

As far as I know they are developing this product jointly with NCR (for the NCR 3600 series machines initially, others to come later) and it is not yet a production product, so you are unlikely to find anyone using it in anger just yet.

>Virtual Server on an SMP box (i.e., deployed production applications) I
>would be interested in hearing about them.
>
>-- Rich
>--
>Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325
>Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824
>Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com

Regards
David S. Received on Fri Aug 20 1993 - 07:33:43 CEST

Original text of this message