Re: SQL*FORMS V4 - Does anybody have practicle experience?

From: Joshua Bleier <jbleier_at_gemstone.amd.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 01:04:46 GMT

In article <jnovak.16.00100EAE_at_dqc.dofasco.ca> jnovak_at_dqc.dofasco.ca (John Novak) writes:
>We are in the process of deciding on development tools for building
>client/server GUI (MS-Windows 3.1) applications using Oracle 7 on HP-UX.
>We have looked at PC based tools such as PowerBuilder, Visual Basic, etc. and
>are looking at tools such as Uniface, Speedware and Oracle's SQL*FORMS 4.

We are also looking into using SQL*FORMS 4. I know a little bit about where Oracle is with it, although we don't have it in house.

>Is it generally available yet?

I don't believe 4.0 has been released yet; it's supposedly due out in September sometime. That release date hasn't changed since I started following it in late June, which leads me to believe that Oracle doesn't anticipate a slip.

>Is it available in Beta form?

It's been in Beta since I started looking, but from what I gathered, their Beta program is filled up, so they're not signing any more Beta sites (they're close enough to release that they wouldn't want to, anyway).

>If anyone has a copy and can talk about their experiences:
> What do you think about it?
> How does it compare to tools like PowerBuilder & Visual Basic?
> Would you use it for mission criticle applications?
> Do you plan on using it al all?

It would be great if any FORMS 4.0 Beta people could summarize their experiences on this newsgroup (or, conversely, if John could follow up with a summary of responses). We're mostly interested in its stability and if it's significantly different with respect to functionality from its predecesor, FORMS 3. Joshua

Joshua S. Bleier					jbleier_at_gemstone.amd.com
Sr Software Engineer						  (408) 982-7570
Advanced Micro Devices			       "Confusion will be my epitaph..."