Re: V2.3 -> V3 Trigger conversion

From: Mike Oswald <moswald_at_cwis.unomaha.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 15:20:36 GMT

gjb_at_zoo.bt.co.uk writes:

>Since I have been informed that version four of SQL*Forms will not support
>version two point three triggers some of our application will need converting.
>Now I would rather avoid having to do this manually since the amount of work
>would not be trivial and some problems are bound to be introduced thus
>upsetting our customers. Could anyone tell me whether tools exist that will
>automate this conversion process or whether any companies provide such a
>conversion service. I am primarily interested in compa
>
> perating in the UK though I will not be restricted by this if necessary.

SQL*Forms v4 will support v2.3 style triggers. This is based on previous notes posted to this discussion group. The companies that provide conversion tools are listed below ... these are only the ones I have tested and reviewed.

Logical Technologies
2nd Floor, 535 Flinders Lane
Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
Tel: (03) 629-5200 Fax: (03) 629-8383
ISD: 61 3 629 5200 Product: Logical*2-3 Passport
Price : reasonable

Review : Customer support was very good. Sales help in the states was

         aggressive but not obnoxious.  The product converted all of our
         v2.3 FoRMs and the triggers to PL/SQL without fail.  The FoRMs
         ran with some very minor changes.

Minus : No proceduralization of common trigger code.

Kumaran Systems, Inc.
701 Evans Avenue, Suite 509,
Etobicoke, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9C 1A3 Tel: (416) 626-1332 or 1-800-567-1332 ext: 116 Fax: (416) 626-1756

U.K.,France,Spain & Belgium
Sequel Technology, Ltd.
Tel: 44-252-734-321
Fax: 44-252-734-355

Product: FORMS*Converter
Price : unable to comment due to contract negotiations

Review : Very good customer technical support. Aggressive but considerate.

         When you say don't call they don't.  The product converted nearly
         all of our v2.3 triggers.  There where serveral that did not covert
         but their convertion tool has been upgraded and this problem will
         be corrected in the next release. Good post conversion documentation.
         Their flow diagram is very helpful.

         MAJOR PLUS+++ --> They will convert all of your FoRMs for you at no
         additional cost.

         They are also a beta site for all future releases of Oracle.

Minus : Can't think of anything ... product found on all platforms.

Performance Technologies, Inc.
70 Birmingham Parkway
Boston, MA 02135
Tel: (617) 787-1776
Fax: (617) 787-1777

Product: ACE*Converter
Price : pricey

Review: Very aggressive and at times rude sales support. They seem to get

        the message that conversion for us was a low priority and that we
        would get back to them.  Must be the bad phone lines out East since
        they either didn't hear us or didn't understand.

        Post conversion documentation was average and not as useful as the
        Kumaran product.

        This product also had trouble converting a few v2.3 triggers but as
        with the Kumaran tool they have corrected the bugs.  Porting to the
        IBM VM platform seems to take long for PTI's tool versus Kumaran's.

Minus : Price, pushy sales, less post conversion documentation than Kumaran
        but more than Logical, and technical support a little weak.  They
        more than happy to blow their horn on what they are doing and where
        they are going but the problems we had are todays problems ... so
        don't call me and tell me about some conference you went to when it
        has nothing to do with the conversion.

This is it ... hopefully not to boring ...

Later. Received on Tue Jul 27 1993 - 17:20:36 CEST

Original text of this message