Re: Oracle7 + stored procs + RPC

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuis NL <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 21 Jul 93 10:33:57 GMT

ariaalto_at_tnclus.tele.nokia.fi wrote:
: I would like to know whether Oracle 7 has a feature that
: enables activating an external process or sending a
: RPC call from a stored procedure.

Using the DBMS_PIPES package, part of the Procedural Option, you can setup a message passing mechanisme between Oracle7 PL/SQL procedures or triggers and an external operating process. In the file

$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmspipe.sql

you will find an example of this. I remember also seeing an example in the Oracle7 Server Application Developers guide, in the chapter about DBMS_PIPES. I succesfully used this to let my SPARCstation talk using the speech functionality of the OS everytime something special happens in the databases.

: Ari Aalto
: Group Manager
: Database Services
: Nokia Cellular Systems

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands
Product Manager RDBMS Received on Wed Jul 21 1993 - 12:33:57 CEST

Original text of this message