Re: Oracle 6 to Oracle 7 Migration

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1993 19:38:39 GMT

I know the answers to this, even though I've never actually performed a V6->V7 migration. I've just done several dry runs and a lot of reading.

shekita_at_yeti.almaden.ibm.com (Eugene Shekita) writes:
>Can users of Oracle out there comment on what it was like
>to migrate from Oracle 6 to Oracle 7? In particular, I'm
>curious about:
> 1) Did the database have to be shutdown while the migration was done?

Yes, absolutely. No users can be logged in while the O7 kernel is changing the layout of all the data dictionary tables.

> 2) Do you know if the format or layout of data on disk was changed?

Yes, significantly such that the entire data dictionary is rebuilt from the existing information in place before migration. The actual format of row data did NOT change to the best of my knowledge. (This is of little comfort when you have 300 users asking where their data is at 8am monday morning.)

> 3) How long did migration take?

This depends highly on several factors:
  the optimized tuning of your Oracle7 kernel.   the speed of your platform.
  the speed of your disk drives/subsystem.
  what else is going on.

Take the Oracle estimates and double them, would be a good starting point. Read the Migration Guide TEN TIMES before you even begin to think you understand the process. Follow it very closely, including the dry runs and the actual PRACTICE migration. TEST your application thoroughly before you allow users to test it for you.

--
Andrew Finkenstadt  |  andy_at_{homes.com,vistachrome.com,genie.geis.com}
Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop