Re: Exporting to Tape on HP/UX

From: Andrew Finkenstadt <andy_at_vistachrome.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1993 19:44:19 GMT

oliver_at_io.nosc.mil (George Oliver) writes:
>Does anyone know how to export directly to tape in Unix (specifically hp/ux).
>There seems to be no intuitive way of doing this (of course this is ORACLE).
>I remember way back when, I could do this in VMS. Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>Thanks,
>George Oliver
>NRaD, Code 423
>email: oliver_at_nosc.mil

This, UNTESTED, script should work. The basic trick is to create a Unix pipe file named "expdat.dmp" in the directory from which you are doing the export.

Here is how it will work, in pictures:

  exp system/manager ------------------> dd (data dump) to tape

So, a script which looks alot like what I use to do compressed backups via export:

  #! /bin/sh

  rm -f expdat.dmp || echo "Could not remove pipe. :(" ; exit 1   mknod expdat.dmp || echo "Could not make pipe. :(" ; exit 2

  # now make the copy process go . N.B. the & puts it in the background!

  dd if=expdat.dmp of=/dev/your/tape/drive bs=yourblocksize &

  # now start the export

  exp system/manager file=expdat full=y constraints=y compress=y buffer=1024000

The construct "command || echo ; exit #" says to execute the command, and if it FAILS, execute the echo and exit commands.

--
Andrew Finkenstadt  |  andy_at_{homes.com,vistachrome.com,genie.geis.com}
Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop