Sharing Forms (was Re: CASE Tools users)

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com>
Date: 8 Jul 93 01:11:56 GMT

holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>mtuason_at_bio.ri.ccf.org (Mike Tuason) writes:

[Mike has trouble with users sharing SQL*Forms form definitions.]

> I set up a single directory for all form builds (.FRM and .INP files).
> In your case, TOM would generate the .FRM file into a single common
> directory. MARY would not see this form in the data dictionary but
> could still execute it from the common directory. With small
> number of users this is not a problem but as more people are
> generating in the same directory, it could get messy.

> The common directory approach ensures all users run the same
> forms and menus.

>Rich Holowczak
>Rutgers University
>holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu

To address your original point, Mike:

This has nothing whatever to do with CASE. When TOM saves the form definition into the SQL*Forms repository, he has the option to open the Action menu and choose Security, bringing up a data entry form wherein TOM can grant MARY access to his form as it sits in the repository.

This of course assumes you are using SQL*Forms v3.0.something-like-16 or later; your mileage may vary, etc.

You could also check the documentation, or look at a thread on this newsgroup some months back on version control for SQL*Forms. There are several issues that the SQL*Forms Security / Grant Access approach will not address.

Cheers.

 -Tom

--
Thomas Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com
    The Platinum Rule:  "Do Unto Others As They Want To Be Done Unto"