SQUID -- OR HOW TO REPRES

From: Jared Hecker <jared.hecker_at_factory.com>
Date: 24 Jun 93 12:50:00 GMT

Greetings from New Yawk:

CG>1.  can the "grant privileges" feature be used to implement three
CG>levels of protection as described above?  The book I'm reading on
CG>this is not too clear on how to do something like this.

Essentially, you would be embedding SQL in these function calls. In this case, you would be embedding SQL*Plus and/or SQL*DBA extensions. Yes, you can do this.

CG>2.  I've seen procedures and packages of procedures described, and how
CG>an entire package can be made public.  Can packages also be made
CG>private or protected?

Yes.

CG>3.  Possibly there is a better way to implement methods than using
CG>Oracle procedures.  I had considered making a "methods table", and
CG>storing either the code or the precompiled method so it could be
CG>referenced by any object instance with proper permissions.  Does
CG>this sound like a more workable approach?

It'll work, but since procedures are compiled into database objects, they are in effect methods written in a 4GL manner. IOW, why bother, it's there already, peach.

hth -

jh

---
. MR/2 1.39x NR . OS/2'ing it big-time!!