Re: ORACLE_SID

From: Lewis W Kellum <lwk_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 5 Jun 1993 02:45:05 GMT

In article <1993Jun4.180752.20859_at_pyra.co.uk> graeme_at_uk.pyramid.com (Graeme Sargent) writes:
>In <739084860snz_at_artemis.demon.co.uk> tinalondon_at_artemis.demon.co.uk (tina london) writes:
>
>>In article <bsmadu.2.739060634_at_dres.dnd.ca> bsmadu_at_dres.dnd.ca writes:

>>>Also, the users of the databases are not computer literate and want to
>>>do as little as possible, therefor, I created script files to take them
>>>to their appropriate applications. The only problem I have encounted is
>>>that if I put setenv ORACLE_SID SID# in my script files this line is
>>>ignored. I have asked the users to type this line in at the prompt and
>>>then select the appropriate option, but they have not been doing this.Is
>>>there some way for me to set up the user's SID so that it
>>>changes for them depending on what option they choose?
>>>note -- I'm using a Sun Sparkserver with Sun OS 4.1.3
>

>>Try export after setting ORACLE_SID, check spelling and case.
>
>This does not make sense. setenv is csh syntax, export is sh/ksh
>syntax.
>
>Either:
> Brenda is using sh/ksh in which case setenv is not being ignored
> it is being rejected as a syntax error. In this case the script
> must be amended to assign ORACLE_SID correctly as well as export
> it.
>Or:
> Brenda is using csh in which case setenv is almost certainly not
> being ignored, but is being amended again in a later script
> (coraenv perhaps?).
>
>graeme
>--
No - Brenda's users are executing these scripts, instead of sourcing them. The c shell forks off a procees to execute the scripts, and any environment variables set by the script are lost when the process exits. Either: 1) put the setenv commands in users .cshrc or, 2) have the users type "source <script_name>". And make sure your commands are c shell commands.

  • Woody