ORACLE_SID

From: Brenda E. Smadu <bsmadu_at_dres.dnd.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1993 22:37:14 GMT

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm curious about something. Can anyone explain to me what damage occurs if your ORACLE_SID points to another database on the system (not the one you are using) For example, we have four instances/databases running on our server. What happens if my ORACLE_SID is SID1 yet I'm using instance 2 which should have ORACLE_SID set to SID2?
Also, the users of the databases are not computer literate and want to do as little as possible, therefor, I created script files to take them to their appropriate applications. The only problem I have encounted is that if I put setenv ORACLE_SID SID# in my script files this line is ignored. I have asked the users to type this line in at the prompt and then select the appropriate option, but they have not been doing this.Is there some way for me to set up the user's SID so that it changes for them depending on what option they choose? note -- I'm using a Sun Sparkserver with Sun OS 4.1.3

                                         RDBMS  6.0.36.4.1

Brenda E. Smadu | Defence Research Establishment Suffield bsmadu_at_dres.dnd.ca | Box 4000 Phone: (403)544-4619 | Medicine Hat, AB Canada Fax: (403(544-3388 | T1A 8K6