Re: Data Browser

From: Peter Kane <pkane_at_cisco.com>
Date: 25 May 1993 19:24:03 GMT

In article <sjsC7LDvI.AnH_at_netcom.com> sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
>Anyone use Oracle Data Browser yet....especially for the mac? Its 600 bucks
>plus more for the support. Anyone have any strong reasons for paying more
>for this when there are 3rd party software products that are half that price?

I've used the Beta version of Oracle Data Browser for the Mac. Which is why I no longer do.
The way it dumps data into a spreadsheet-like format is nice, especially the way you can format the output. However, the way you have to select datasources, link selected tables (right, it won't do it for you) and formulate the where clause is less than fun. Not for the computer phobic user. The worst part of it is its reliance on SQL*Net. It can't work in the background, so your Mac is frozen until the data comes back from the query. Try telling your user they're not going to be able to use their machine for 10 minutes, if it is a big query. Oracle support says no solution any time soon. The windows market is much more appealing to them....

Peter
pkane_at_cisco.com Received on Tue May 25 1993 - 21:24:03 CEST

Original text of this message