Re: Performance and Distrubuted Oracele 7

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu>
Date: 20 May 93 13:56:22 PDT

In article <C7C1C7.KL7_at_idm.com> cdm_at_idm.com (Charles D. Marcotte) writes:
>We are experiencing performace problems with Oracle 7 in a distributed database
>environment. Here's the picture:
>
>Local system Remote System
> -Oracle 7 -Oracle 6
> +Distributed opt. +Distributed opt.
> +SQL*Net +SQL*Net

         Few Rows                               Lots of Rows

I think the problem lies in the fact that the remote system is Oracle 6.
Thus it does not have statistics available about its tables for the
distributed optimizer to use. I know Oracle7 has the capability to perform the join you want to do on the remote node, as seems appropriate here. I think it will work correctly if you upgrade the remote system to Oracle7.

You should be able to run explain and TKPROF on the SQL statement to see exactly what is happening.

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA

| Dan Druker                                                               |
| agsm mail 	: ddruker                                                  |
| internet 	: ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                                    |
| oracle*mail	: unix:ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                               |

Disclaimer: None. I'm a student now and I don't care what you think. Received on Thu May 20 1993 - 22:56:22 CEST

Original text of this message