Re: Update problem with Forms 3.0

From: Paul Narth <pnarth_at_axion.bt.co.uk>
Date: 21 May 1993 09:12:44 GMT

Would writing an ON-INSERT trigger to force an update on the table help? I had a similar problem, but the error I got was "FRM-40600 Row has already been inserted" - I was trying to update a table in which a column was defined (under Oracle7) as a PRIMARY KEY. As I had only SELECTed data from the table, and not queryed it, Oracle marked the transaction as an insert, not an update. Writing an ON-INSERT trigger as: UPDATE tablename SET fieldname etc. etc. with appropriate exception handlers forced an update on the table. Somebody suggested to me that maybe I should delete the whole row on a PRE-INSERT trigger, then let Oracle re-insert it. A rather drastic solution, but it does work!

Paul Narth
Software Development Division
G61 B81
BT Labs
Martlesham Heath
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP5 7RE
England, UK Received on Fri May 21 1993 - 11:12:44 CEST

Original text of this message