Re: Wanted: Oracle on DOS checklist.

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 13 May 93 15:07:13 GMT

rzx2122_at_mcvax2.d48.lilly.com writes:

>Does anyone have a checklist of things to do to get Oracle V6 to run with
>windows. I'm just getting started and would like not to waste time.
>I'm also going to be installing Forms 4.0 for Windows (beta).
>I'll compile a MSDOS/Oracle checklist and post here.
>TIA,
>Tom Harleman INET 72072.2122_at_compuserve.com

Tom:
If you are looking to run DOS versions of the Tools, you have limited choices. The Windows versions, I am not so sure about. Here's what I did to get everything running on my machine:

  1. Get a big FAST machine with at least 12 megs of RAM. You can do it with about 8 megs but things are just plain slow.
  2. SQLPME conflicts with Windows' memory management. The way I did it was to give some memory to SQLPME and leave the rest to Windows. By doing this, Windows can only be run in Standard Mode, not Enhanced mode. I don't know if Forms 4.0 changes this.
  3. Alter your INIT.ORA file and add the line: DYNAMIC_MEMORY=XXXXX where XXXXX is the amount of RAM you can spare for Oracle and the DOS tools you want to use. I usually keep 4 megs for the DB and then another 4 for the tools leaving me with 4 megs for Windows.
  4. Load SQLPME with the command line switch to limit its RAM useage to 8 Megs and then start up Oracle.
  5. At this point, you can run Windows in Standard mode by using the /s switch after WIN.
  6. You can run DOS versions of the tools like SQL*Forms 3.0 as DOS sessions under WIndows but you can't run them "in a Window" while Windows in running in Standard mode. Full screen only.

As I said, it could be that SQL*Forms 4.0 changes all of this since it supposedly uses Windows' memory model. How this works with SQLPME I still don't know.

Hope this helps.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Thu May 13 1993 - 17:07:13 CEST

Original text of this message