Re: Converting Forms2.3 Triggers To 3.0 PLsql Triggers

From: Mike Oswald <moswald_at_cwis.unomaha.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 14:33:09 GMT

rlbright_at_rich.nt.com writes:
> Using convert30 doesn't convert the triggers in a 2.3 form to the PLsql triggers
> used in Forms 3.0. I've herd rumors of some non-oracle products the will convert
> the 2.3 triggers to PLsql 3.0 triggers. Anybody know anything about these?
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Ron

I have just completed my evaluation of two conversion products, ACE*Converter from Performance Technology, Inc (PTI) and Logical*2-3, a Logical Technologies product.

Both products handle the v2 -> v3 style triggers pretty well though PTI is the only one that can proceduralize your triggers. Logical will provide a packaged object utility with ever purchase of their Logical*2-3 software.

PTI charges by the trigger step which comes out to about 0.80 - 0.90 cents per trigger (we have 14,000 trigger steps). Logical on the other hand charges by the FoRM.

We were given a price quote of $7500 from PTI and $5525 from Logical (which is an unlimited FoRMs conversion license). The push here is for proceduralization so it looks as though we'll purchase PTI. Personally I thought Logical did a very good job and saving $2000 seems more important but we have other areas on campus that will be sharing the cost of the conversion.

One other thing ... Logical's Tech Support is in Australia and are very helpful and PTI is located in Boston, MA. Each company has worked with major corps. throughout the world with Logical doing most of their business in Europe.

Both products run on most platforms except that Logical does not support conversions on mainframes so we had to download/upload files to our machine in order to do the conversions.

Hopefully this helps ... need more info ... let me know.

Mike Oswald
Univ. Of NE Medical Center
Computing Services/Telecomm Received on Wed May 12 1993 - 16:33:09 CEST

Original text of this message