NULL Terminator in VARCHAR!

From: Namita Tripathy <namita_at_cs.uh.edu>
Date: 2 May 1993 14:37:02 GMT

HI,

I am having a problem here which I just can't get around! I have 2 host variables, img_pathname (an output host variable) and image_file (an input host variable). Both of them have been declared as

EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION

	VARCHAR img_pathname[36];
	char image_file[20];
	EXEC SQL VAR image_file IS STRING(20);

EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION; The intention of the code piece is to retrieve the image pathname from the database, given the image filename as an input host variable.

I wrote:

	EXEC SQL SELECT PATHNAME INTO :img_pathname
		FROM IMAGE_STORE
		WHERE IMAGE = :image_file;

img_pathname.arr[img_pathname.len] = '\0';

When I next read the values of image_file and img_pathname, image_file is correct, but there nothing is read into img_pathname from the database, and the query fails, because of absence of a null terminator. Isn't the last line, null terminating the string img_pathname??

Note that the size of img_pathname and image_file are the maximum sizes.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please forward your suggestions to namita_at_cs.uh.edu.

Thanks!

Namita Received on Sun May 02 1993 - 16:37:02 CEST

Original text of this message