Re: indexes in non-system tablespaces

From: Glenn Goodrum <ggoodrum_at_sgihbtn.sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1993 19:29:47 GMT

In article <C4vHnn.AoF_at_unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>, ian_at_tethys.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Ian A. MacGregor) writes:
|> The thrust of the question has not been addressed. What is needed is a way to
|> put indexes in their own tablespace, that is to not place tables and indexes
|> together. Since indexes are a resource, they will be placed in a user's
|> default tablespace intermingled with the tables. There are performance reasons
|> for keeping tables and indexes separate.
|>
|> Ian MacGregor
|> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
|> (415) 926-3528

There is an option on the CREATE INDEX command to specify the tablespace in which the index is to exist: "CREATE INDEX A ON B(COLUMNS) TABLESPACE X;". As long as you have resource privilege on the tablespace and the requisite privileges on the table, this should accomplish what you want, whether table B is in the same tablespace or not (unless there is more to your question than meets the eye).

(Standard disclaimers; my own opinions; etc...)

Glenn Goodrum
Sierra Geophysics
713-961-1077 Received on Mon Apr 12 1993 - 21:29:47 CEST

Original text of this message