Re: indexes in non-system tablespaces

From: Ian A. MacGregor <ian_at_tethys.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 14:41:55 GMT

In article <1993Apr12.192947.345_at_sierra.com>, ggoodrum_at_sgihbtn.sierra.com (Glenn Goodrum) writes:

|> There is an option on the CREATE INDEX command to specify the tablespace
|> in which the index is to exist: "CREATE INDEX A ON B(COLUMNS) TABLESPACE X;".
|> As long as you have resource privilege on the tablespace and the requisite
|> privileges on the table, this should accomplish what you want, whether
|> table B is in the same tablespace or not (unless there is more to your
|> question than meets the eye).
|>
|> (Standard disclaimers; my own opinions; etc...)
|>
|> Glenn Goodrum
|> Sierra Geophysics
|> 713-961-1077
Yes there is indeed more to my question than meets the eye. You can explicitly declare the tablespace for an index by using the method you suggest, but there in no way to default an index into a separate tablespace from the one which holds the tables. It would be nice to be able to issue a command like "alter user index tablespace <tablespace_name>