SQL*Plus: Column Delimiter

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_cmutual.com.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1993 23:45:02 GMT

Hi all,

I have a need to extract data from an Oracle database and import it into MS/Excel. To do this the column data need to be delimited by TABS.

The question I have is, does any one know how I can set the column delimiter/separated of the output from SQL*Plus to be other than space?

I know it is possible to use CHR(9) and the '||' string but try doing this when you have a table with 120 columns. What I want to do is to specify that data is to be separated with tabs.

At the moment, SqlPlus does this

select dummy,dummy from dual;
D D
- -
X X

What I would like to have is

D<tab>D
-<tab>-
X<tab>X

I will summarise the replies I get but please try them out 1st before replying.

thanks
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ____ |Tony Jambu, Database Administrator
  /_  __       /_ __ /       |Colonial Mutual Invest Mgmt,Aust (ACN 004021809)