7.0.12 install problems on SunOS 4.1

From: Hans Bergsten 66784 <ebuhob_at_ebu.ericsson.se>
Date: 3 Apr 93 05:39:23 GMT

I've tried to install the ORACLE7 production release 7.0.12 on a SunOS 4.1.3 server, but I ran into a very weird problem.

As described in the Installation Guide, I am using the new fancy fullscreen install program orainst. I have a userid named "oracle7" defined, and it is a member of the "dba" group as it should. The home directory for "oracle7" is called "/opt/oracle7", and I am using this as ORACLE_HOME as well.

After a while the install program asks for the ORACLE owner, and I enter "oracle7". The following message appears:

                   The user oracle7 does not exist.
                   Please enter the name of a valid user.

So, I try with my private userid instead (ebuhob). Hey, it liked that! But after a while it changes its mind or something and rejects me with:

        rdbms.vrf(1084): UNKNOWN_USER while getting group name

Okay, so I start again, testing with a bunch of different userids and realize that it accepts any userid except userids with home directories in /opt ! Users with home directories in other weird places, like /usr/valid or
/etc/security/audit, are accepted.

Can anyone tell me why ORACLE thinks home directories in /opt is such a bad idea? Are there any work arounds, besides the obvious one of moving the home directory?

/Hans

---
Hans Bergsten                 	     Internet : ebuhob_at_ebu.ericsson.se
Ericsson Business Communications     MEMO     : ERI.EBU.EBUHOB (God forbid.)
5757 Plaza Drive                     Voice    : +1 (714) 236-6784
Cypress, CA 90630-0007, USA          FAX      : +1 (714) 236-6700