Re: Unix, OS/2, Windows NT, GUI

From: Mark Perreira <markp_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 07:45:55 GMT

In article <CMM.0.90.2.733688289.hkr_at_ull.ifi.uio.no> hkr_at_ifi.uio.no (Hans Kristian Ruud) writes:

>My employer is contemplating to upgrade from MS-DOS to one of
>
> 1) a Unix platform,
>
> 2) an OS/2 (version 1.3;) platform,
>
> 3) a Windows NT platform.
>
>The Windows NT version is not yet released (as far as I understand).
>Any comments about expected release date, reliability etc.?
>
>Also, is it possible under OS/2 to write programs that use the
>graphic capabilities of the Presentation Manager to access the
>database ( we have some rather specialized requirements)?
>
>Or, under Unix, can we write programs that employ Motif as a user
>interface?

I think this is a hard question to answer given the info in the above post. I assume that you are going to choose Oracle RDBMS due to the place of the post. But you need to think about any network requirements that may help you decide what OS to arrive at. What kind of program are you looking to create and what just is your "special requirements." Lastly what kind of language are you looking to write this front-end in: 3GL, 4GL.....

Better define the problem and an answer to come to the surface.

  //  markp_at_netcom.com             Mark Perreira           (510)889-3373   //