Re: indexes in non-system tablespaces

From: Ian A. MacGregor <ian_at_tethys.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 20:16:33 GMT

In article <3741_at_nlsun1.oracle.nl>, kverruyt_at_nl.oracle.com (Kees Verruyt) writes:

|> Martin,
|>
|> YES! YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING.
|>
|> Indeed, indexes ARE resources, and are managed with the same "RESOURCE" principle.
|>
|> What you probably missed is that creating an index needs temporary sorting space.
|> If the user's "temporary tablespace" is SYSTEM, it will still use system.
|> To prevent this, alter the user's temporary tablespace to a tablespace reserved
|> for this special purpose.
|>
|> If this isn't your problem, could you perhaps post the statements that you are
|> trying and their results? That way, it is much easier to give advice!
|>
|> Hope that this helps,
|> Kees.
|>

|> PS: I work for Oracle, but I'm not responsible for Sales nor Support. So don't
|> blame Oracle if I get it wrong! I just like to help fellow netlanders...
|> --
|> Kees Verruijt Rijnzathe 6
|> Software Engineer Gateway development 3454 PV DE MEERN
|> Oracle Europe The Netherlands
|> Email: kverruyt_at_nl.oracle.com Tel: +31 3406 94886
|> or: kverruyt_at_oracle.nl Fax: +31 3406 65603

The thrust of the question has not been addressed. What is needed is a way to put indexes in their own tablespace, that is to not place tables and indexes together. Since indexes are a resource, they will be placed in a user's default tablespace intermingled with the tables. There are performance reasons for keeping tables and indexes separate.

                       Ian MacGregor
                       Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
                       (415) 926-3528