Re: RDBMS Feature Matrix (FAQ in the works !!!)

From: Robert Abbott <abbott_at_priory.enet.dec.com>
Date: 22 MAR 93 13:24:15

In article <C4Avtq.Gv1_at_unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>,   ian_at_tethys.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Ian A. MacGregor) writes...
 abbott_at_priory.enet.dec.com (Robert Abbott) writes:

>|> ------------------------
>|> Robert K. Abbott
>|> abbott_at_tps.enet.dec.com
>
>Multiplexed redo log files allow the same redo log information to be written
>simultaneously to two or more online redo logs. This is a new feature
 of Oracle7.
>In order to use this feature you create a logfile "group" and
 place the indivdual
>log files in the group. When lgwr performs the write, it writes to
 all the files
>in the group simultaneously. The idea of course is to place
 each member of a
>logfile group on a different disk. Of course you will need at
 least two separate
>groups of logfiles in order for a log switch to be performed.
>
> Ian MacGregor
> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> (415) 926-3528

This sounds like mirroring of the log at the file level rather than the device level. Correct? There is still only one logical log per database, although it may have multiple physical copies.

My question was if Oracle can support two or more logfiles per database where logfiles are not identical i.e., some logging is directed towards one file the rest to another.

Robert K. Abbott

abbott_at_tps.enet.dec.com Received on Mon Mar 22 1993 - 13:24:15 CET

Original text of this message