Re: DBMS Product Pricing Strategies

From: Tom Donnelly <tdonnell_at_ncrsoph.Sophia.NCR.COM>
Date: 17 Mar 93 11:37:02 GMT

In article <1993Mar16.050321.3950_at_cltr.uq.OZ.AU> markw_at_cltr.uq.oz.au (Mark White) writes:
>I'm doing a quick study into some of the pricing/licencing strategies
>empployed by each of the major RDBMS product vendors, and would be
>interested in how Oracle, Informix, Sybase etc determine prices on
>various platforms and networks.
>
>I'd like to hear from anyone (especially vendors themselves, but anyone
>with any knowledge!) who can detail the pricing scales for the product
>you are ussing to develop DB applications. For example, is it based
>on the number of users? The platform? The number of servers? The server
>platform? How about runtimes VS development?
>
>I'm happy to post a summary of responses, so please reply by email in
>the first instance.

I have found that licensing agreements tend to change dramatically to favor the vendor. One recent tuffle I have been on the periphery of is the 'USER LICENSE'. At first, we were under the impression that this user license was for concurrent users, as that is how it was explained to us. Now, however, I hear that we are to be billed ( or the vendor wants to bill us ) on NAMED users. So whats a named user? Does that mean if I have an id for every person on the system ( or for everyone who can connect to the DB ) that I pay for each of them? What if I give everyone the same ID ( ok, forget the security and audit trail problems ). I don't think I have ever seen a truly comprehensive and understandable pricing strategy.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>--
>Mark White | Email: nctmw_at_jcu.edu.au
>National Centre for Studies in Travel and Tourism | Phone: +61 7 870 9212
>James Cook University of North Queensland | Fax: +61 7 371 8485
>P.O. Box 705 Indooroopilly QLD 4068 AUSTRALIA | Home: +61 7 870 3373

These views are my own and do not represent those of my company. No guarantee, implied or other, unless specified by law. Details on back.
Tom Donnelly               | WIN: Tom.Donnelly_at_Sophia
NCR Europe Group ISS       | UUCP: ..ncrcom!ncrsoph!tdonnell
Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne |
France			   | TEL: 33-92 94 45 40