Re: Flatfiles from oracle tables

From: Joel Garry <tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 93 09:05:24 PST

aaj_at_cmutual.com.au (Tony Jambu) writes:
> > Other ways (on UNIX) involve running an export file through strings(1)
> > and then hacking the file produced. Basically you need to join all
> > lines, avoiding those that start with "CREATE", "INSERT" et cetera. Use
> > perl or awk to do the hacking. This will give you a SQL script.
> >

> I would ask David to try this suggestion of his 1st before recommending it.
> There is no way (that I know of, currently) where you can import or extract
> data
> from an Oracle export to be imported into another DBMS.
>
> This is because Oracle exports the data in their native format. They are not
> in
> a form that is legible to the outside world. You may be able to extract the
> DDL
> stamenents but not the data.

So, why not just keep the data with an SQL select for each table? The you can get the DDL's from strings<exportfile.dmp and the data in flat ascii files? I don't see why people are so rigid about this. You can even build a SQL command string from the strings output, so have an automated procedure to do an export and create files for any DBMS.

--
"See your System Administrator?" I *AM* the #%_at_!?& System Administrator!

INTERNET: tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry)
UUCP:  ...!ryptyde!netlink!tumidity