Re: ClearAccess experience Mac/Sun?

From: Jack Love <jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 3 Mar 1993 20:35:42 GMT

In article <1993Mar1.134955.18588_at_rzu-news.unizh.ch> steiger_at_geo.umnw.ethz.ch (Steiger Daniel) writes:
>Does anyone have experience with ClearAccess & Oracle on Mac/SUN?

Yes. We've been using it in our department for a couple of years.

>It's just a fact that the 'once-in-a-week-user' is not able to retrieve data by SQL. He (or she) need a data access tool like ClearAccess (point & click).

While this is true, it is also true that the "point-and-click" stuff doesn't actually work that well if a user has no knowledge of how SQL works.

>Does anyone have experience with that kind of data access tool in a Macintosh/SUN environment?

The approach we are currently using is to use the Clear Access program's ability to script and connect to Excel via macros. Users who learn SQL can enjoy the somewhat easier interface which allows them to, for example, create a fairly complex SQL command without actually typing it in and then modifying it with a text editor. Those users who choose not to learn SQL can benefit from the product as long as we develop the scripts and macros for them.

>Comments and recommendations would be very appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

Since there has been considerable other discussion of DDE Manager, Excel Q&E, etc, you might be interested in what advantages if any Clear Access has over those products. Clear Access is fairly transparant across the Windows/Mac platforms. The scripting language is pretty good and definitely works better than trying to keep your SQL commands under 255 characters. Another difference between Clear Access and Microsoft is that a human answers the phone and tech support is usually a couple of minutes away.

Jack F. Love	| 	Opinions expressed are mine alone.