Re: What about the Oracle vs Sybase Ads?

From: Jeff Lichtman <jeffl_at_houdini.sybase.com>
Date: 23 Feb 93 20:40:56 GMT

> Has anyone figured out why the analysts don't kill Sybase for renaming
> all their products Open- (Open Client, Open Server, Open Gateway)
> when in fact their product is the most proprietary, least open of all
> the major DBMS's ?
> Daniel Druker

It bothers me that people don't understand the difference between "open" and "standard." All "open" means is that you publish your interfaces, and encourage your customers and other vendors to develop products and applications that use your interfaces.

For example, the Apple II was an open system. Apple told everyone what they needed to know to make hardware to plug into the motherboard, and encouraged vendors to develop boards to increase the value of the Apple II. The original MacIntosh was a closed system, but has become more open with time. Note that the buses for both the Apple II and the MacIntosh conform to no standard, except the de facto standard established by Apple.

The Sybase SQL-Server, Open Server, etc. are open products, in that Sybase publishes the complete interface specs for these products, and encourages outside vendors to develop applications, add-ons, etc. That is a key part of our marketing strategy.

---
Jeff Lichtman at Sybase
{mtxinu,pacbell}!sybase!jeffl  -or- jeffl_at_sybase.com
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."