Re: FLAME Re: What about the Oracle vs Sybase Ads?

From: Richard Holowczak <holowczk_at_rwja.umdnj.edu>
Date: 23 Feb 93 15:27:15 GMT

tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com (Thomas Cox) writes:

>des_at_helix.nih.gov (David E. Scheim) writes:

>>Having worked with client-server systems, I can say that Sybase prospered
>>because it set up the foundation for a client-server architecture that
>>works. Their product is technically sound, providing the functionality such

  WHAT A JOKE!
  On ALL Oracle platforms, numeric data are stored to 38 significant   digits. That's reguardless of word size. It's the same from PCs to   UNIX to MVS.

  What about Sybase? Try doing a join operation across heterogeneous   operating systems using Sybase databases with numeric data. How are   you going to compare these different word sizes and different levels   of significance?

  Oracle made this choice a LONG time ago. If they were sensitive to   these kinds of issues back then, I can only conclude the infrastructure   of Oracle is far superior as a building block to state of the art systems.

Rich Holowczak                       holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
Ph.D. Computers and Information Systems Program "Availability of Distributed Databases During Network Partitioning"
| The .sig, the whole .sig and nothing but the .sig | Ask about the |
|           <<< This space for rent >>>             | car alarm FAQ |