Re: Long Raw

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu>
Date: 23 Feb 93 13:39:31 PST

In article <zhou.730471424_at_carioca> zhou_at_igd.fhg.de (Zhou Jian) writes:
>Dear netters,
>
>It is said that the maximal length of long raw type in
>Oracle7 will be extended to 2 Mbytes, can anyone
>validate this info? Any information is welcomed.

Long Raw can be 2 Gigabytes per row in V7. In your code you can decide how big of chunks you want the Long Raw broken up into to be sent back to your client - IE you have a 100 meg image, you can send it back in 1 Meg chunks for efficiency.

I recommend HIGHLY that you break your image data out into a seperate table from the data used to index each image. That is, if there are 15 fields that describe your image, and you want to be able to do a select on some set of criteria to bring up the image, make 2 tables - 1 with the 15 columns + an image id #
1 with the image id# and the image.

this will save you lots of headaches and will greatly speed up your queries if you ever have to do table scans against your criteria.

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA

| Dan Druker                                                               |
| agsm mail 	: ddruker                                                  |
| internet 	: ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                                    |
| oracle*mail	: unix:ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu                               |

Disclaimer: None. I'm a student now and I don't care what you think. Received on Tue Feb 23 1993 - 22:39:31 CET

Original text of this message