MSQL*Forms 3.0 Help

From: Gerard Hynes <ghynes_at_garfield.cs.mun.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1993 14:28:42 GMT

I am posting this request for help for a friend of mine who does not have access to the Internet and this news group.

Thanx in advance,

*------- begin included message -------*

        Subject: hosting CASE executables from MSQL*Forms30

	Sun Sparc
	SunOS 4.1.2,
	X11R4 with Motif
	ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.33.2.2

I have V6.0.36 but is is not yet installed, ORACLE CASE*tools and all of the ORACLE bit-mapped tools. The challenges working in this environment are many, but my immediate problem is to execute a CASE*Dictionary executable from within MSQL*Forms30, ORACLE's bit-mapped version of SQL*Forms (To be specific I am trying to use '$ORACLE_HOME/bin/cdrf' to Reverse Engineer tables, sequences and indexes that are being created in the calling form).

        I have tried to accomplish this task in 3 different ways as follows

  1. host(cdrf); In this instance I do not get the opportunity to enter the parameters it just by passes the prompts until it gets and an error. Result: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist CASE*Dictionary location(9500)
    • Press RETURN to return to SQL*FORMS -- when you press RETURN control is returned to the operating system and not to the calling form, the calling form is left hanging
  2. host(xterm -e cdrf); In this scenario the objects get reverse engineered properly but whe the calling form is left hanging. When it is finished control is again returned to the operating system and the calling form is left hanging.
  3. runmenu50 username/passwd -c case_sun:sparcxt DICTIONARY -m p Note: the menu would not run properly using the MSQL*Menu (the bitmapped version) the results are always the same as #1 above, regardless of wether the menu was called independently or from the calling form.

Therefore, I tested using the character mode menu

     Results:   When ran independently the Reverse Engineering worked properly.
		However when the menu is called from the bit-mapped form
		the user is just left at the system prompt of the xterm window
		and the calling form is left hanging.

	I did consider the option of trying to host the executable passing
it the required parameters, but unlike some of the other CASE scripts this one will not accept parameters.

        It seems to me that there are not many other options, at least none that are apparent to me; and it is a requirement of the system I am working on to be able to create tables and have them Reverse Engineered in to the CASE*Dictionary so that they can then be used to create modules through the CASE*Generator. Also, the problem seems to be not just what I am trying to do but the fact that I am trying to do it in a bit-mapped environment.

        If anyone has any solutions, suggestions or insight on this matter I would very much appreciate it.

*-------- End included message ---------*

Please respond to me via e-mail at the address below.

Thanx again, Gerard.

| Gerard Hynes ghynes_at_garfield.cs.mun.ca |
| This space for rent ghynes_at_kean.ucs.mun.ca |
--